Taking care of the environment is everyone’s responsibly because environmental degradation threatens the long-term health of plants, insects, animals as well as humans. The WI campaigns to support the protection of the environment e.g. the End Plastic Soup campaign, and as an individual you can contribute to a reduction in your carbon footprint, resource use and associated pollution by making changes to the way you live your life.
- Make sure you recycle everything that can be:
- Try to make sure you don't contaminate your recycling as that can reduce the value of a whole lorry full. Follow the link to find out more.
- At specific sites for specific items e.g.
- Terracycle (see our plastics page for more information and links)
- Currys recycle any electricals or electronics including computers, toasters, floor cleaners to TVs, whether bought from them or someone else. This includes all those wires and plugs we have in the cupboard - although you can recycle these at the local waste management centres too.
PLASTICS and PLASTIC SOUP
You can reduce - reuse - recycle - repurpose any plastics. See our PLASTICS page for ideas and options.
Bromsgrove and Droitwich Makerspace is a place for people to get together to share skills, learn crafts and repair things. The groups hosts a regular repair shop where you can take small electrical items.
- Fix leaks quickly
- Use less – turn off tap whilst brushing teeth, take short showers
- Drink tap water and refill bottles
- Use a water storage butt in the garden
- Increase meat free days – raising animals for meat uses a lot of water
- Use energy-efficient bulbs and turn off lights
- Turn off appliances at the plug
- Buy energy efficient appliances
- Reduce thermostat settings on heating systems by 1-2 degrees
- Check your house insulation is up-to-date
Read the newspaper online and not in print
- Avoid paper that does not scrunch up
- Ask for electronic bills and bank statements
Recycle clean paper that scrunches up
- Do not recycle shiny wrapping paper or any with glitter
- Do nor recycle greasy paper such as that use to wrap fish and chips!
- Walk and cycle more
- Errand batch and combine trips
- Car share
- Use public transport
- Buy locally
- Work from home when you can
- Holiday more often in the UK
Please let Sparkles Wi know of any other useful sites and together we can start to make a difference.