Taking care of the environment is everyone’s responsibly because environmental degradation threatens the long-term health of plants, insects, animals as well as humans. The WI campaigns to support the protection of the environment e.g. the End Plastic Soup campaign, and as an individual you can contribute to a reduction in your carbon footprint, resource use and associated pollution by making changes to the way you live your life.
PLASTICS and PLASTIC SOUP
You can reduce - reuse - recycle - repurpose any plastics. See our PLASTICS page for ideas and options.
- Fix leaks quickly
- Use less – turn off tap whilst brushing teeth, take short showers
- Drink tap water and refill bottles
- Use a water storage butt in the garden
- Increase meat free days – raising animals for meat uses a lot of water
- Use energy-efficient bulbs and turn off lights
- Turn off appliances at the plug
- Buy energy efficient appliances
- Reduce thermostat settings on heating systems by 1-2 degrees
- Check your house insulation is up-to-date
Are you throwing trees down your toilet?
- Use toilet roll made from recycled paper - this uses few and 'nicer' chemicals to produce than virgin pulp. Brands include Ecoleaf, Who gives a Crap, Traidcraft, Essential.
- Even better if the rolls are wrapped in paper and not plastic - check the websites.
Use less paper
- Read the newspaper online and not in print
- Ask for electronic bills and bank statements
- Print out fewer emails
Recycle any clean paper that scrunches up
- Do not recycle shiny wrapping paper or any with glitter
- Do nor recycle greasy paper such as that use to wrap fish and chips!
- Walk and cycle more
- Errand batch and combine trips
- Car share
- Use public transport
- Buy locally
- Work from home when you can
- Holiday more often in the UK
Please let Sparkles Wi know of any other useful sites and together we can start to make a difference.